Story

Retail Earnings Boost Extends Win Streaks for Dow and S&P 500

Daily Market Comment

August 16, 2022

Stocks were mixed after Monday's surge as investors waited on the FOMC Minutes to be released on Wednesday. Strong earnings from Home Depot (HD) and Walmart (WMT) helped the Dow Jones and S&P 500 extend their recent gains. However, there are still signs of economic weakness present with Housing Starts falling -9.6% vs. -2.5% estimated while Housing permits dipped -1.3% in July. Crude oil prices fell to a 6-month low on China's lower demand. Finally, the 10-year Treasury bounced back up to 2.82% which weighed on high-growth stocks and technology names and led to the NASDAQ ending the session slightly lower. Strong sectors were led by Consumer Staples (XLP), Financials (XLF) and Consumer Discretionary (XLY) while Technology (XLK) and Energy (XLE) brought up the rear. The DJIA tacked on 239.57 points (+0.71%) finishing at 34152.01. The S&P 500 added 8.06 points (+0.19%) and settled at 4305.20, while the NASDAQ lost 25.50 points (-0.19%) to 13102.55.

Breadth was mixed with advancing issues beating declining issues by 245 units on the NYSE and declining issues beating advancing issues by 425 units on the NASDAQ. Advancing volume was 64% on the NYSE while declining volume was 54% of the NASDAQ. The VIX fell 0.26 (-1.30%) and closed at 19.69. Crude oil prices lost 2.50 (-2.80%) and the September contract closed at $86.91 a barrel. Gold prices dipped 8.00 points (-0.44%) and finished at $1790.10 an ounce. Bitcoin (BTC) closed the session at $23946.34.

The Federal Open Market Committee will publish minutes from its policy meeting tomorrow. The minutes will be read closely for signals on the Fed's next move. Traders are now seeing a 60% chance of a 50-basis-point hike vs. 40% chance of a 75 basis-point hike. With more earnings from retail giants on tap for tomorrow, the better-than-expected recent earnings have been a surprise and are helping stocks recoup losses from the first half of the year. This latest run remains frothy at these levels, but good earnings in the face of economic uncertainty is seen as welcomed news for investors.

Earnings releases to watch for on Wednesday include: Cisco Systems (CSCO), Lowes (LOW), Target (TGT), Synopsis Inc (SNPS) and Krispy Kreme Inc (DNUT).

Wednesday's Market Moving Economic Calendar: Mortgage Apps, Retail Sales, Business Inventories and the EIA Petroleum Status Report. The Minutes from the July FOMC Meeting are released at 2:00 PM ET.

By Richard Cuvilly

Login to MarketEdge

Login
Don't have an account? Sign up now.

Get aFREE!Second Opinion®

Market Indicators

Market Posture Cyclical Trend Index
Bullish
4
As of: 06/24/2022
As of: 07/29/2022
Looking for the S&P Oscillator?
The proprietary S&P Short-Range Oscillator is a number that is calculated each market day and helps professionals measure the pulse of the market.
Published for decades only as part of an S&P Trendline/Daily Action Stock Charts subscription, the proprietary S&P Short-Range Oscillator is now available exclusively by special arrangement through Computrade/MarketEdge®
Click to Sign Up

Second Opinion Performance

Second Opinion Status

2937

Current Opinions
As of: 08/16/2022

88%

Long Accuracy
As of: 08/16/2022

50%

Avoid Accuracy
As of: 08/16/2022
Click For More Details

Market Recap - 08/16/2022

Index Close Day Change Day % Change YTD % Change
NASDAQ COMPOSITE 13102.55 -25.5 -0.19% -16.25%
DJ UTILITIES 1053.86 3.24 0.31% 7.45%
DJ TRANSPORT 15209.96 111.48 0.74% -7.7%
DJ INDUSTRIALS 34152.01 239.57 0.71% -6.02%
NYSE COMPOSITE 15846.79 52.46 0.33% -7.67%
S & P 100 INDEX 1966.75 4.3 0.22% -10.38%
RUSSELL 2000 2020.53 -0.82 -0.04% -10.01%
S&P 500 4305.2 8.06 0.19% -9.67%
CBOE MKT VOLATILITY 19.69 -0.26 -1.3% 14.08%
AMEX COMPOSITE 4217.11 39.33 0.94% 23.05%
Dr MarketEdge Talks Stocks



Tuesday, August 16th 2022, 4:59 pm

Pricing

$29.95/mo.

Get Started

Second Opinion on over 3400 stocks, nightly updates for stocks on your watchlist, dozens of tools to find the right stock at the right time, as well as real human support available by chat, email, and phone.

About MarketEdge

MarketEdge is a unique suite of investment tools developed by Computrade Systems, Inc. The purpose of our service is to provide quality, independent research in a manner that is both easily understandable and immediately actionable for individual investors as well as professional money managers. MarketEdge features Second Opinion®, a comprehensive computer-generated technical evaluation of more than 3,400 stocks, along with fundamental research from Standard & Poor's. MarketEdge will generate daily investment ideas for every type of trading strategy thereby enabling one to trade and invest with a consistent, disciplined approach in all market environments.

Logging in...